Freeside for Australian conditions

Mark Williamson mark.williamson at ebbs.com.au
Sat Dec 5 17:50:09 PST 1998

Hello All,

I see that I will later need to modify Freeside to suit Australian
conditions...

What's different..

our phone numbers here are recorded differently.. We use a different
amount of digits If possible I would like to see this inserted freehand
up to a certain amount digits

Our Postcodes are 4 digits instead the US is 5 digits..  We call it
Postcode where the US calls it Zip codes

Our states are different.. In Australia we have 7 states..

Vic
NSW
QL
ACT
Tas
SA
WA
NT

I see there is a #SS on the create User form..  I just realized what
that is for, Social Security Number..  Here in Australian we don't use
Social Security Numbers..  I Suppose what we in Australia could use that
field for is to record Date of Birth..

May be a comments field could be added to the user accounts.

O.K. I will need to modify some of the code..   I haven't looked into
this as far yet..  what do I need to look out for?

O.k. I suppose I will try to keep things simple at first.. As  my
programming skills are only at best are poor..  and if I try ant thing
complex I will probably break freeside...  I will really only only be
adding users from Victoria to the system..   I could just use "Vi" in
that field as the field width will not be only 2 characters in the
Postgres data base files created by Freeside.

With the phone numbers may be that may need only the CGI code modified
that creates the newuser for the system..

Has anyone done a similar thing to this and got it working?

Thanks
Mark