[freeside] config files

Kristian Hoffmann khoff at pc-intouch.com
Thu Dec 30 02:15:40 PST 1999

> Now, the next bit is this:-
>
> Create the `/usr/local/etc/freeside/counters.datasrc', and
> `/usr/local/etc/freeside/export.datasrc' directories for each datasrc (owned
> by the freeside user).
>
> The "datasrc" directory is what I didn't understand. What is the name
> related to?  It's not the database name or conf.DBI:mysql:dbname=freeside

I ran into the same problem.  Sorry if I explain this incorrectly, but the
three directories are conf.[datasrc], counters.[datasrc], and
export.[datasrc].  The "[datasrc]" will be how perl accesses your
database.  For example, I use the DBI perl modules (don't think there's
much of a choice there), mysql db server, and the dbname "freeside."  My
"[datasrc]" will be DBI:mysql:freeside which is what you use to name the
directories.  The mapsecrets file maps users from apache to a secrets file
under conf.[datasrc] which contains the username and password for that
[datasrc]. So, your mapsecrets file would look something like...

salesguy1 conf.DBI:mysql:freeside/secrets

The advantage of this is that you can have users on the same webserver
retrieving data from different databases based on what their username is.
It doesn't make much of a difference for most people, but if you're
running billing services for serveral ISPs, that makes life a whole lot
simpler.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Ivan, is that a pretty good explaination?  Maybe you should put it
in the config.html.  :)

-Kristian
<khoff at pc-intouch.com>