How to manage users in multiple domains

Ivan Kohler ivan at sisd.com
Sun Jun 20 19:09:46 PDT 1999

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 10:25:35PM -0700, dk smith wrote:
> Hello Ivan and others...
>
> Thanks for making this cool software freely available...
>
> I have a couple questions related to using the software with multiple
> domains...
>
> We have multiple domains (in different physical locations) for which we
> provide POP mail accounts and shell accounts. We are beginning to think
> that (one instantiation of) freeside is not sufficient to manage user
> accounts across domains because it appears to want to write the SAME
> password and mail alias files on all servers (shell and pop alike).

Yes, right now, it does.

Support for different files on each host was contributed, but needs a
little work: fleshing out, documenting, syncing with current version,
admin interface.  I can make what I've got currently available, if you
like.

> Specifically, we have newbiz.com and oldbiz.com. Neither has used freeside.
> Obviously newbiz.com will start with freeside however we've heard horror
> stories of upgrading exisitng userbases such as on oldbiz.com.

With Freeside specifically?  I've not heard such a thing.

> After a
> little experimentation we decided that we may have to run separate
> instantiations to accomplish this. Thanks folks... for sharing your
> knowledge and experience.
>
> (note that user1 at newbiz.com is not the same as user1 at oldbiz.com)
>
> -dk
>
> PS: Is it also true the any account type that is more complex than a user
> account -- e.g. shell or POP only -- must created/configured manually?
> (that freeside does not attempt to write virtual server configs)

Freeside will do Sendmail and Qmail configs too, but not Apache configs
(yet).

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan at sisd.com> - finger for PGP key - <moc.dsis at navi> Relhok Navi
Open-source billing and administration for ISPs - http://www.sisd.com/freeside