ISPAdmin Conversion Tool

Donald L. Greer dgreer at AustinTX.COM
Thu May 27 08:37:06 PDT 1999

Ivan Kohler wrote:

> On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 09:14:32PM -0500, Donald L. Greer, Jr. wrote:
> >   Ivan,
> >   You mentioned on the list a while back that you had a conversion
> > script for ISPAdmin.
>
> Really?  That's strange, I don't recall that.  AFAIK I have no such
> script.
  Well, you told somebody that it would be best discussed off-list
(hince my sending the original email directly to you).  No biggy.  I'll
just dump the user database and figure out how to plug the stuff into
freeside.

[...]
> >   Also, has anyone tossed you a user signup page (other than the one
> > that's included under "New User")?
>
> Not yet.
>
> >   If not, I'll just use the "New User" page as a template and run with
> > it.
>
> I don't think that's such a good idea.  That isn't meant for users to add
> themselves.
>
> You want to proxy it from a public web server to the Freeside machine,
> which shouldn't be accepting connections from the outside world.
> Something not completely unlike the stuff in the fs_passwd directory
> (which lets users change their own passwords securely) is what I'd expect.
>
> If you'd like to work with me to write such a thing I'd be happy to make
> the time to do so.

  Yeah, you're probably right.  Well, I've paid for Hurl's REG as well,
so I guess I could modify REG to do this.

> >   Finally, has anyone posted any hacks to make Freeside work with Cyrus
> > mail server?  I'm considering moving in that direction.
>
> One hopes that it wouldn't have to be a hack.  :)

  Well, as I understand it, Cyrus runs as a self-contained application.
It doesn't use the system password and shadow files, so you have to
connect to the server with a special management client and issue the
commands interactively.  This should be doable with chat scripts.  I'll
have to work on this too.
> >   Thanks![...]
  I've run into another problem and I think this one may be a
show-stopper.  I need to track commission rates for sales staff.  They
will be paid a recurring commission, so each account must associate
itself with a sales person, and when payment is rendered, the sales
person's commission account is credit x% of the payment.
  I'll look at the code and see if I can figure out how to do this, but
I'm pretty inexperienced in perl/DBI programming.  Any guidence on how
this should be done would be appreciated.
  Don

Donald L. Greer, Jr.				dgreer at austintx.com
System Administrator				Voice: 512-835-8005
AustinTX.COM			       URL: http://www.austintx.com
All opinions are my own.  Flame me directly!

"I don't think software should be necessarily be free,
	but if you pay for it, it should work!"
		- Me