403 Forbidden!

Collin Baillie gvlink at tropinet.com
Tue Oct 5 08:27:32 PDT 1999

I forgot to mention in my last email that I get this:

You don't have permission to access /freeside/edit/cust_main.cgi on this

When I try to edit users from the docs etc.

I am using Apache. I don't know which version. How do you find that? Anyway, I
have in my access.conf file:

<Directory /home/httpd/html/freeside>         #Note: I hate how RedHat puts
software root directories in the /home/directory :(
Options None
AllowOverride AuthConfig

and in my srm.conf file:

# To use CGI scripts:
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

My .htaccess file inside the /home/httpd/html/freeside/ dir looks like this:

AuthName "restricted stuff"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/users

require valid-user

/etc/httpd/users looks like this:

collin:xxxxxxxxxx (Where xxxxxxx is actually my encrypted password)

I ran:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop

/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start

Then when I try to access /home/http/html/freeside/ it makes me authenticate.
The index page loads ok, but then it doesn't let my use the cgi scripts.
*shrug* Any ideas??

NOTE: This may be infuriating, but I am still part way through the install.
Waiting to hear back about how the Authentication is supposed to be set up (ie
do I have it right as above??) and I don't have SSH installed yet. But
shouldn't the scripts run anyway??

Collin Baillie
gvlink at tropinet.com