[freeside] REMOTE_HOST problem

ivan ivan at 420.am
Sat Jan 29 23:31:42 PST 2000

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 11:23:08PM -0500, Mitch Vincent wrote:
> fatal: Can't get REMOTE_USER! at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/FS/UID.pm
> line 171, <DATA> chunk 239.
>

> I'm getting this error at several points, I know it looks like user
> authentication isn't setup but I promise, it is setup and working (and has
> been on that box for a long, long time)..

Do you get prompted for a username and password when you visit the page
for which you receive this error?  Try it with a newly-launched browser to
eliminate caching effects.  If you don't, then user authentication isn't
setup correctly for that page.  Computers don't grok promises.  It would
sure make coding easier though.  :)

If you do get prompted for a username/password and still receive that
error, presumably something is preventing Apache from passing that
environment variable.  Are you using mod_perl, suExec, or setuid?

> I recompiled/installed Apache just
> to be sure though.
>
> Is there any other reason I could get that error message?

I sure can't think of any.  :/

--
_ivan