[freeside] fatal: Can't get REMOTE_USER!

ivan ivan at 420.am
Sat Apr 6 07:30:33 PST 2002

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 02:23:45AM -0800, blarson wrote:
> Acutally, I am quite sure that I am authenticating successfully because
> apache gives an error when I enter an incorrect username or passwd into
> it's prompt.  If you would like I can send you the contents of both
> .htaccess and .htpasswd files but they are straight out of the
> documentation.  I know this error sounds weird so if you would like to
> check it out the URL is http://billing.slaxlan.org:81 with username guest
> and passwd guest.

Sorry, debugging your installation is your problem unless you're paying.
:)

>  Another interesting thing is that the apache access logfile shows an
> authenticated user.  Here's what the log shows : "billing.slaxlan.org
> 12.225.181.13 - guest [06/Apr/2002:02:15:49 -0800] "GET
> /images/small-logo.png HTTP/1.1" 200 4781
> "http://billing.slaxlan.org:81" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; MSN
> 2.5; Windows NT 5.0; MSOCD; T312461)""  Any ideas?

Nope.  You could try to create a small test cases and figure out why the
environment variable REMOTE_USER isn't making it to Freeside (if you
insist that the problem is not that the user wasn't authenticated) and try
to debug the problem with your web server or CGI.pm or something.  I'm
skeptical, but convincable.

Sorry it didn't work out, but I don't think there's anything else I can do
for you.  Good luck.

--
_ivan