Apache eats up all open files

Dean dean at DeanAndAdie.net
Wed Jan 8 08:46:23 PST 2003

Hello Freeside people,
        I am running into some problems with freeside-1.4.0.  When browsing the
administration page the billing server grinds to a halt, running out of open
files.  It usually takes 10-20 minutes to get the server to crash.  With the
help of lsof, it looks like apache is using up the most files, with pgsql coming
in second.  I am using Apache::ASP to handle the freeside pages.
        What I'd really like to know is a known working configuration with
FreeBSD and MySQL if anyone has it working.  Or some pointers to what to upgrade
or re-install.

pennypincher:/root# uname -a
FreeBSD pennypincher 4.7-RC FreeBSD 4.7-RC #0: Tue Sep 24 23:50:49 PDT 2002
root at pennypincher:/usr/src/sys/compile/PENNYPINCHER  i386

pennypincher:/root# perl -v
This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd

pennypincher:/root# httpd -v
Server version: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
Server built:   Sep 27 2002 08:34:04

pennypincher:/root# psql -V