[freeside] setup help (Mason & Apache problem)

Jesse D. Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Sat Jun 7 09:17:15 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <ivan at 420.am>
To: <ivan-freeside at sisd.com>
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: [freeside] setup help (Mason & Apache problem)

> This is a Mason FAQ:
>
> http://www.masonhq.com/docs/faq/#why_am_i_getting_404_errors_for_
>
> Please search the web and documentation available to you _before_ asking
> the mailing list for assistance.  Thanks

I made it clear that I wasn't familiar with most of the Perl modules
required by
Freeside in my first post. I posted my previous question to the list because
I didn't
know if the problem was related to an incorrectly installed Mason module or
an
incorrectly installed Freeside. It turns out that Freeside was the problem.

Furthmore, I wouldn't have had to ask the list at all if the installation
documentation I
was following:

http://www.sisd.com/freeside/docs/install.html

was complete! This documentation never says anything about modifying the
'comp_root' variable in '/usr/local/etc/freeside/handler.pl'. In addition,
the
above install doc is very vague about where the 'masondocs' folder should
be copied and where the handler.pl script should be copied.

I think the 'Mason' section needs to look like this:

 ------ begin mason stuff ------
- Run make masondocs
- Copy masondocs/ to your web server's document space. (like
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/freeside-mason)
- Copy htetc/handler.pl to /usr/local/etc/freeside (use
htetc/handler.pl-1.0x for Mason versions before 1.10).
- Edit handler.pl and:
    1.) set an appropriate comp_root, such as
'/usr/local/apache/htdocs/freeside-mason'
    2.) set an appropriate data_dir, such as
'/usr/local/etc/freeside/masondata'
- Configure Apache to use the handler.pl file and to execute .cgi files
using HTML::Mason. For example:
  PerlModule HTML::Mason
  <Directory /usr/local/apache/htdocs/freeside-mason>
  <Files ~ (\.cgi)>
  AddHandler perl-script .cgi
  PerlHandler HTML::Mason
  </Files>
  <Perl>
  require "/usr/local/etc/freeside/handler.pl";
  </Perl>
  </Directory>
------ end mason stuff ------