[freeside] First Installation

Randall Lucas rlucas at tercent.net
Sat Nov 15 21:28:13 PST 2003

Folks,

Per the FAQ and previous messages, you WILL have weird problems with Red Hat
8/9, specifically due to their inclusion of mod_perl 1.99 / Apache 2.

The LANG issue below is because RH9 defaults to en_US.utf8, which fubars all
kinds of things from "man" to some makes in the CPAN mods.  Your Perl in
general may be fubar'ed unless you manage to export LANG="C" (I suppose en_US
would work as well, the main trouble being the UTF8).  Recall that Perl 5.8,
shipped with RH9, uses utf8 for its stringiness which can slow things up.

If you downgrade to the RH 7.3 RPMs to install Apache 1.3, see
blogs.law.harvard.edu/rlucas for my notes on that.  Note as well that the Perl
in the mod_perl used for that is, I believe, 5.6.1.

Randall