ldap export

Dan Bethe dan_bethe at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 27 01:40:20 PST 2004

Hi all.  Thanks to Ivan and all other freeside contributors for such a great
app.

I'm interested in seeing the basic completion of the LDAP export in Freeside.
The current state is that the code hasn't changed since freeside 1.4.1, which
is what I'm using, and it only does adding but no modification or deletion.
I'm not a programmer but if you're interested in contributing code or a cash
pledge for code, read on.

Here are some brief notes on how to minimally configure the LDAP export,
assuming that you have a functional openldap server with 'ou=Customers' on your
tree in which to place all new user accounts and have enabled the appropriate
schemata.

               o rootdn: cn=root,dc=yourisp,dc=com
               o userdn: ou=Customers,dc=yourisp,dc=com
               o attributes
                    # add 'posixAccount,shadowAccount,organizationalPerson' to
objectClass
                    # homeDirectory /home/$username
                    # userPassword $crypt_password
                    # uidNumber $uid
                    # gidNumber $gid
                    # cn $first $last
                    # givenName $first

Here is a list of functionality that is not presently implemented.  I'm pretty
sure this is all of it, from what I can tell by clicking on all management
functions.

* customer view
    * account suspension (ldap replace unimplemented)
    * cancel (ldap delete unimplemented)
    * unprovision (ldap delete unimplemented)
    * add/edit packages (ldap replace unimplemented)

And I don't know if there are more variables with which to create new ldap
attributes.

Ivan says that the export interfaces are reasonably isolated, and that
obviously enough of the framework exists that a given competent object oriented
perl programmer would be able to complete the whole thing in perhaps a few
hours.  I don't know how long it'd take you to grok freeside itself, and all of
this is simply an arm waving guesstimate.  Ivan has no interest in direct
engineering, but will gladly accept patches in a heartbeat.

Does anyone here happen to have a functional LDAP interface that you haven't
committed to Ivan yet?  Perhaps you've done it for a client or employer who you
could ask for the liberation of your work.  Is anyone else willing to pledge
cash for its expedient completion?  I'm in a time crunch this time around, but
I'll have more Freeside deployments over time so I'll revisit this as well.  I
can pledge a reasonable lump sum for a few hours' work.  If any of the above
applies to you, please post here or email me and I'll summarize to the list.

Thanks!