I really need HELP

Alejandro Galue agalue at sync.com.ve
Mon Jul 12 13:33:18 PDT 2004

Hello All,

I want to use freeside as a billing system for internet access.

I have a gateway (running nocat on redhat linux) for ethernet and wireless
users.

It works like this:

          Public LAN                             Private LAN
               |            |---------------|         |          |--------|
               |------------| NoCAT Gateway |---------|----------| Router
|-------> To INTERNET
|--------|     |            |---------------|         |          |--------|
| Client |-----|                                      |
|--------|     |                                      |
|---------------|
                                                      |----------| Radius
Server |

|---------------|

The client connect to LAN via ethernet or wireless.

NoCAT acts as a firewall, and the user must open any web page.

When user open any web page for the first time NoCAT redirect the request to
Login Page. (Login/Logout pages are part of NoCAtAuth Service)

NoCAT validate user credentials with Radius Server; if user is validated
NoCAT create an entry using iptables to permit client to access the internet
but not Private LAN.

I want to replace the Radius Server with freeside (I WANT TO KNOW IF
FREESIDE ACTS AS A RADIUS SERVER OR NEED FREESIDE RUNNING ON THE SAME
COMPUTER; AND I WANT TO KNOW HOW CAN I CONFIGURE FREERADIUS TO INTEROPERATE
WITH FREESIDE )

I setup a FreeBSD 5.2.1 BOX with Apache, PostgreSQL, mod_perl, perl and perl
modules downloaded and installed from freebsd site using pkg_add commands.

I followed all instructions of installation procedure of freeside; and works
ok.

I really don´t understand the initial configuration steps in administration
docs.

It says:

Create Service Default Domain (why?, what is the purpose)
Create Services
Create Packages
Create User

And so on...

But I really appretiate a more detailed example of how can I setup freeside
and how can I test the complete suite.

Please I need help.

Thanks in advance

Alejandro Galue.