[freeside] new installation

Brian Taber btaber at diversecg.com
Thu Oct 7 06:23:57 PDT 2004

This is a list for help, not criticism (usually).  Perl is a command line
interpeter.  (and more)  It can be made to run on a server through CGI
scripting (for small simple scripts).  mod_perl is for Apache, it allows
the perl interpeter to be embedded in your web server, caching the scripts
and making execuition faster, plus more very advanced and powerful
features.  read more here: http://perl.apache.org/  the reason you need it
for freeside is because freeside uses either Apache::ASP or HTML::Mason to
interpet the scripts,which they both need mod_perl.  So the answer to your
question is yes, you definately need it.  you can download it from that
site I gave you, but you need to used the 1.0 version, the 2.0 version has
problems and does not run correctly with freeside.

Brian