Billing problems after upgrade

Nicholas Moline nmoline at portalkeeper.com
Wed Jan 26 23:58:33 PST 2005

Hello,

I have been using Freeside for some time.  I have recently upgraded to
1.5.0pre6 in hopes of utilizing some of the new features, including the
self service modules, so that my customers can log in and pay their
bills directly, and the postscript invoicing to allow more styling in my
  invoices.

I upgraded my 1.4.1 to 1.5.0pre6 using the instructions given in the
documentation and it "seemed" at least to be a success.  The new
reporting options were amazing and after some slight tweaking I had a
decent invoice template that I was able to view all my existing invoices in.

Then over a month went by and I started getting comments submitted from
my more reliable customers "I haven't gotten a bill from you lately, is
something wrong?"

When I checked the customer I found, that while no invoice was
generated, their next bill date and last bill dates had been incremented
as if there was a new bill.

I started looking, and it seems that all my customers have had this
problem happen to them, any bill that was automatic, simply marked the
last bill date and next bill date and did not actually generate an invoice.

I tried editing the dates on a package back a month and running
freeside-daily -d '12/27/04' -v [user] [custnum] and I got the following
results:

bill customer 26 at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4/FS/cust_main.pm line 1120.
   bill package 80 at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4/FS/cust_main.pm line 1159.
     bill recur at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4/FS/cust_main.pm line 1195.
   package 80 modified; updating
Argument "" isn't numeric in sprintf at
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4/FS/cust_main.pm line 1250.
   bill package 81 at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4/FS/cust_main.pm line 1159.
collect customer 26: balance 0.00 at
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4/FS/cust_main.pm line 1528.

Now line 1250 of cust_main.pm simply reads:
        $recur = sprintf( "%.2f", $recur );

Now $recur is defined, otherwise the
     warn "\$recur is undefined" unless defined($recur);

would have given me a warning, which it didn't several lines earlier.
I'm a bit confused as to why the recurring fee is coming up "" instead
of as what the fee that should be charged.

I should note it seems setup fees are working ok, at least from the
perspective that if I do a "one time charge" on a customer, the bill
does generate successfully with the charges on them, so this problem,
whatever it is seems to only be in the recurring fee, and I'm not really
sure why.  The recurring fees always worked fine before the upgrade, and
I don't use any complicated referring fees, just flat rate anniversary
billing.

To answer the questions in the checklist of REQUIRED information for
posting a request for information:
Exact Version: 1.5.0pre6
I use HTML::Mason, which was installed by dpkg on a debian machine and
is running version 1.26-1 according to dpkg at current

All of the required perl modules are installed and working, perl is
version 5.8.4 as noted in the errors.  PostgeSQL was also installed by
dpkg on debian and is currently 7.4.6-6

The OS is Debian GNU Linux, Sarge distribution
libdbi-perl is version 1.46-5 and libdbd-pg-perl is 1.32-2

As this problem is not taking place in apache, there really isn't any
applicable portion of the error.log to post here.  This problem mis
taking place in the freeside-daily script, though I can confirm that if
I set a date back and attempt to run the "Bill Now" link through apache,
it has the same effect.

Any help you can provide me on this matter would be greatly appreciated.