[freeside-users] New User Looking for version suggestions

Ivan Kohler ivan at 420.am
Tue Jul 4 10:53:15 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 10:58:12AM -0500, Tim Yardley wrote:
> dbdef-create also seems to fix this issue some of the time, so it is
> probably a combination of problems.

>From what I can tell there isn't a combination of problems so much as
several very different problems getting mixed up because the symptoms
are similar.

If dbdef-create fixes the problem, there's not really anything left for
us to fix.  Current (1.5.8 and HEAD) freeside-setup already runs the
equivalent after creating the schema.  Any problems still being reported
that are fixed by dbdef-create or freeside-upgrade are probably from
folks trying to use old databases.

> The case that I ran into it, was under 7.4.x but I was able to
> resolve the issue with dbdef-create and some tweaking.

I've never run into this problem with 7.4, and I don't think it affects
8.0 either.

I'm unsure if there's still an outstanding issue with 8.1 that's not
fixed by
http://www.sisd.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/freeside/FS/FS/Record.pm?r1=1.116&r2=1.117

The quality of error reporting from users on this issue has been pretty
dismal; if someone actually provided a good problem report that allowed
me (or an interested contributor) to duplicate the problem with
FREESIDE_1_5_BRANCH or HEAD, it would be far more likely to hold my
attention.

> In regards to the javascript, there are obviously a number of ways to
> fix the problem.  Do keep in mind that the error message is being
> written out for tha javascript by mason from perl as a command to a
> javascript function itself, so I'm sure you meant that the perl should
> escape it for the javascript rather than the javascript itself.

Yes, I know.  I wrote it.  Patches appriciated far more than armchair
commentary.  :)

> Without escaping or another solution present, in its current form it
> could be used for a type of XSS attack, assuming there is a place
> somewhere in freeside that the user input or configured error strings
> were tainted.

XSS "attacks" are overrated, and the threat of employees spoofing other
employees' browsers is not the same sort of threat as things like
privledge escallation or information exposure, but yes.

> Out of curiousity, has anyone done a security audit of freeside recently?

The software is developed with an very careful eye towards security (how
could it not be, considering its function?) and I wouldn't expect
serious problems with common webapp exploits like SQL injection, but
there hasn't been a formal security audit by a third party.  Are you
interested in sponsoring this?

--
_ivan