[freeside-users] question on 1st of month billing

Gerald V. Livingston II gerald.freeside at sysmatrix.net
Sat Sep 23 08:23:48 PDT 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:52:35 -0700 Ivan Kohler <ivan at 420.am> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 06:00:22PM -0400, Christy  wrote:
> > Hello,
> >            Installed system information: Freeside release version 1.5.8
> > , uses HTM::Mason, Perl version v5.8.4
> >            Freeside has been installed and successfully running.
> >     Question: we wanted to bill the customers as bellow,
> >              Pro-rated and full next month. For example, if the user
> > signup for a service on August 20th and we would like to bill them on
> > September 1st ( using 1st of month billing). That bill should contain
> > the charges starting from August 20 to August 31 ( pro-rate) then
> > September 1st to September 30th .
> > Is this possible?. If so , would you please explain to us?...I am having
> > problem as billing above method?.
>
> The software can do this, except for the month-in-advance part.  It
> would be pretty simple to add.

I think I understand the originators question. We have a few accounts
similar to this model (except ours are full charge for current month then
1st of month billing).

These few customers are "1st of month billing, net-10, period". They don't
need to pay immediately when they add a new sub-account in the middle of
the month. But they DO need to be charged for it on their upcoming
1st-of-month invoice.

What happens now is that when they add a mid-month account an invoice is
generated immediately for the "current month" charge. We've simply
instructed these users to ignore those invoices and wait for the full
invoice that gets generated on the 1st. The outstanding balance carries
forward.

I'm thinking that delaying those initial invoices would be more of a pain
than it's worth. It would be nice if they could be slightly customized to
state:

"New account charge for current calendar month. Please do not pay at this
time. This balance will be carried forword to your regular 1st of month
invoice."

But that would have to happen ONLY when a package was first ordered. Our
"tell them to ignore it" system works for now. I'll fiddle around with it
later if it becaomes a problem.

Gerald