[freeside-users] Canadian taxes, payment methods

Aaron Smith aaronsmith384 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 20:39:49 PDT 2007

Thanks Ivan, that's very useful information. I'll have to try out everything you've mentioned and hopefully report back with successes.> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 02:18:34 -0700> From: ivan at sisd.com> To: freeside-users at sisd.com> Subject: Re: [freeside-users] Canadian taxes, payment methods> > On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 05:33:30PM +0500, Aaron Smith wrote:> > Is there a way in Freeside to set-up Canadian taxes to work properly?> > Yes.  We support taxes for many Canadian customers.> > > Background: we have two taxes, one of which (GST - 6%) is always > > charged, and the other (PST) varies from province to province. The > > requirements are:> >> > 1. They need to be shown separately.> > Separate, named taxes can be setup and are show separately on invoices.> > > 2. GST is simple, we always charge it on the subtotal. However, > > depending on the province, PST is charged only on some items. For > > example, for Ontario, one would charge PST only for modem rental and > > not ADSL service, whereas in other provinces, this is different.> > Use tax classes to apply PST to some products and not others.> > > 3. The PST rate varies from province to province (e.g. Ontario 8%, > > Quebec 7.5%)> > Set PST different for each region.> > > 4. Depending on the province, PST is either charged on the subtotal > > (e.g. Ontario), or charged on subtotal+GST (e.g. Quebec)> > We've currently handled this by simply setting the PST to an appropriate > aggregate rate.  For example, for the 7.5% Quebec PST (QST), simply > using an 8.025% tax rate for Quebec.> (assuming GST is 7% and PST/QST is 7.5%: 1.07 * 7.5% = 8.025%)> > > 5. The correct PST is applied depending on the customer's service address> > By default, tax calculations are done based on the billing address.  > Enable the "tax-ship_address" configuration option to calculate tax > based on the shipping address instead.> > > Also, are there plans to add EFT (our version of ACH)> > I believe we have Canadian customesr currently using EFT.> > > and EMT (e-mail money transfer) payment methods?> > We have no current plans to add this feature.  In general, our > development priorites are driven by the needs of our customers - if a > customer needs a feature and sponsors the work, we're happy to add > interfaces to new payment methods or gateways.> > > I'm willing to pay for development if this is currently impossible.> > Its probably best to contact myself or sales at sisd.com off-list if you're > interested in pursuing commercial sponsorship of specific features.  > Folks like to keep the mailing list focused on community support.> > Third party commercial support is also available from the folks listed > at http://www.sisd.com/mediawiki/index.php/Freeside:Support:Consultants> > -- > _ivan> _______________________________________________> freeside-users mailing list> freeside-users at sisd.com> http://420.am/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/freeside-users