[freeside-users] Upgrade Question

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at elirion.net
Wed Jan 23 06:11:42 PST 2008

Rob wrote:
> We have a production version of freeside running version 1.58 along with
> RT 3.4.4
>
> We would like to migrate this to a new server and upgrade.
>
> Preferably we would like to leave the old server intact in case we have
> any problems.
>
> I have done a new install on the new server, is there a way to migrate
> and upgrade to the new server from the 1.58 version?
>
> New server is running freeside v1.7.2

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I was hoping to find some time to
try some of the following, but that hasn't happened.

The conservative approach seems to be:

1/ Install Freeside 1.5.8 on the new server.

2/ Restore the database from the old server on the new server as in the
disaster recovery notes on the Freeside wiki:
http://www.freeside.biz/mediawiki/index.php/Freeside:1.7:Documentation:DisasterRecovery

3/ After making sure the database was successfully restored, follow the
Freeside 1.7.2 upgrade notes:
http://www.freeside.biz/mediawiki/index.php/Freeside:1.7:Documentation:Upgrading

You may be able to avoid installing 1.5.8 if you copy all the data files
across from the old server, including the dbdef.dbi.* directory, and
restore the database but don't do the dbdef-create step but instead go
straight into the 1.7.2 upgrade instructions.  (The data and
configuration files should be in approximately the same state when you
start the upgrade as if you had been running 1.5.8 on the new machine.)
  You can't check the restore was successful until the 1.7.2 upgrade is
complete.

Since you want to keep the old server intact, the approach of upgrading
on the old machine and then restoring the database on the new machine
isn't an option.

Not sure what you do about RT.  We don't use it yet.

Regards,

	Richard Siddall